Healthy & Hearty Foods with Peggy Saxton, RDPublished by on
For the next edition of Getting Barry Healthy with Barry Roberts, Barry will be once more talking hearty and healthy foods with Avera Medical Group Registered Dietician Peggy Saxton. Is your mouth watering yet? Check out the recipe for "Gram's Chicken Pot Pie" below!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
What you need
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp light zesty Italian dressing
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
- 1 can (10 ¾ oz) fat free condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¼ lb (4 oz) light Velveeta cheese cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 of 17.3 oz pkg.) thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook and stir chicken in dressing in large skillet on medium heat 5 min. or until chicken is done. Stir in vegetables and soup. Spoon into 9 inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with Velveeta.
- Unfold pastry sheet; place over chicken mixture. Fold under edges of pastry; press onto top of baking dish to seal. Brush with egg. Cut several slits in pasty to permit steam to escape. Place dish on baking sheet.
- Bake 30 min. or until crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
Serve with a mixed green salad tossed with fresh apple slices.
How to Thaw Pastry Sheets
Remove pastry sheet from freezer; cover with plastic wrap. Thaw at room temperature 30 min. or in refrigerator 4 hours. Thawed wrapped pastry sheets can be stored up to 2 days in refrigerator.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
- Calories 390
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Fat 16g
- Protein 26g
- Sodium 820mg