Sen. Franken discusses flood damage

WORTHINGTON - US Senator Al Franken has floods on his mind. During a call to Radio Works Headquarters Wednesday morning, he explained his recent travels around the state of Minnesota, viewing flood damage.

Over the weekend he put on plenty of miles, from Luverne to Pipestone to Albert Lea to International Falls and several points in between.

Franken said in his recent travels he has seen some of the best of Minnesota. He talked with some of the 400 volunteers sandbagging in International Falls, spoke with farmers in the southwest who have lost all of their acreage to hail and floods, but kept their topsoil because they haven’t plowed too deep, and learned of neighbors helping neighbors.

He is currently working with state officials on getting a disaster area declared, and said the affected areas will easily meet the $7.4 million threshold. After he and some others turn reports into the president, it takes about 10 days or less for relief to start coming in, he said.

In a process reminiscent of last year’s ice storms, the federal government pays 75 percent of the cost, and the state usually picks up the other 25 percent.

For anyone with questions, Franken offered up one of his staff members, Val Gravseth, who he calls Val the Disaster Gal. He said Val recommends lots of documentation and pictures. She can be contacted at 218-230-9487.

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
6 + 8 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.